This is a blog telling our culinary travels around the world one friday at a time.
We start our journey from Turku, from southern Finland where we enjoy finnish food, mostly from the Turku region. Scroll down to find out how many mice this friday mouse got !
Turku or Åbo in Swedish (the other national language of Finland) is the old capital of Finland and you can taste it’s old history as harbor city from these recipes.
To make your Turku-friday mouse perfect you can also listen to some music from Turku with our playlist on Spotify!
Menu: (Recipes link to the finnish one, you can read the english recipes below)
- Mäti-savulohiherkku (roe – smoked lax delicacy)
- Rapeat röstit (Crispy roasted potatoes)
- Frittiahvenet (Deep-fried bass)
- Sitrusvoissa paahdetut punajuuret (beetroot baked in citron-butter)
Our friday mouse (Fredagsmys in swedish) day happened to be Runeberg’s day, famous for the Runeberg’s cakes so that naturally was our dessert. (We bought them, but you can follow the link and make them yourself.)
The sparkling wine of our choice was the most Finnish we could find, Sibelius Brut.
Roe-Smoked Lax Delicacy:
- 2dl whitefish roe
- 100g cold-smoked salmon
- 1 red onion
- dash of citron juice
- 1dl Smetana or french cream
- grounded black pepper
Chop salmon and salmon finely. Mix together with roe. Add dash of citron juice. Top with french cream or Smetana. Decorate with black pepper.
Crispy Roasted Potatoes
- 4 middle-sized potatoes
- 4 tablespoons of grated Emmental
- little nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley or dill
- Grate potatoes coarsely. Put grated potatoes into strainer and tamp excess water. Mix grate with Emmental, nutmeg och dill.
- Warm oil-butter mix in crêpe pan. Add a fair tablespoon of mixed grate into pan spreading it to a thin layer. Cook from both sides until potatoes are cooked and crisp.
- 400g bass fillets
- 2dl wheat flour
- 1 egg white
- 1,5dl beer
- 1 tablespoon of chopped dill
- Dry fish fillers with paper and cut to 2cm wide slices. Mix flours and beer to a even dough. Add dill and spice with a little white pepper. Whisk egg white into froth and mix into the dough.
- Pour oil into a pot. There should be at least 5 cm of oil. Heat the oil to 180 C. (You can try this with a little piece of bread: When the bread fries into evenly brown in half a minute the oil is at correct temperature.)
- Dip fish fillets into dough and fry them couple at a time in the pot. Put them to drain into plate coated with tissue. Flavor with salt.
Beetroot baked in citron-butter
- 6 small beetroot
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- ½ citron and ½ of grated citron skin.
- a drop of honey
- 2 tablespoons of seed mix
- Wash beetroot and cook them in salt flavored water. Peel and slice beetroot into blocks.
- Heat the butter in a pan, add beetroot and fry them a minute. Add citron juice, honey and the grated citron skin. Continue frying for a little while
- Flavor beetroot with fried seed mix and salt.
From Turku our journey shall continue to west, heading to Stockholm, hoping to arrive there next friday!